Detroit’s Famous Renaissance-Style Parking Garage
This parking garage used to be a big theatre;
'When it opened in 1926 at a cost of $5 million, the Michigan Theater was one of the largest in the state, seating over 4,000 people. Serving as a traditional theatre, concert hall and movie house, the venue boasted 10-foot crystal chandeliers, mezzanine seating for black tie guests only, and a magnificent gilded lobby, four stories high and covering 1,000 square feet. Suffice to say, the Michigan was a marvel of the entertainment world and symbol of Detroit’s manufacturing preeminence.’
Photos by Jim Garrett.